CPEA is led by a group of esteemed individuals with expertise in medicine, education, not-for-profit management, law and finance.
- Darlyne Bailey, Ph.D. Board Chair A recognized leader in higher education, Dr. Bailey has served as an educator for more than 30 years with more than 24 of those years also serving as an academic administrator at several prominent institutions, while continuing to make numerous additional professional contributions. As Professor and Dean Emeritus at the Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research and Special Assistant for Community Partnerships to the President at Bryn Mawr College, Dr. Bailey has previously taught and served as Dean of professional schools at Case Western Reserve University and the University of Minnesota, and as Dean and Vice President of Columbia University’s Teachers College where she also served as Acting President. Through a multidisciplinary and multicultural approach, Dr. Bailey teaches, writes and utilizes participatory action research exploring topics spanning health and human services, leadership development, organizational behavior, inter-organizational strategic alliances, and social justice while also convening and contributing to the work of several professional associations. Dr. Bailey’s life-long commitment to service is further reflected in her leadership responsibilities on national and community-based boards of directors, advisory committees, and professional editorial boards. She is also the recipient of numerous professional and civic awards, including being honored as a Fellow in the W.K. Kellogg Foundation‘s National Leadership Fellowship Program and receiving the National Association of Social Workers Pioneer Award. As a first-generation college graduate, Dr. Bailey was among the first group of women to earn an A.B. from Lafayette College and went on to obtain a M.S. from Columbia, and a Ph.D. from Case Western.
- Stephen Burghardt, Ph.D. Board Member For more than 40 years, Dr. Burghardt has been a professor at the Hunter College (CUNY) School of Social Work, where he has focused on areas such as transformative leadership models and community-based action. A prolific author, researcher and an award-winning professor, Dr. Burghardt has also provided service to numerous editorial boards and professional societies. Dr. Burghardt approaches his teaching instruction with the philosophy of empowering his students to assist others. Additionally, Dr. Burghardt provides coaching to executives, municipal leaders and others regarding community engagement, leadership, strategic planning and communications. Dr. Burghardt received his undergraduate degree from Lafayette College and his Master’s and Ph.D. from the University of Michigan.
An accomplished senior healthcare executive with more than 35 years of experience, Terence Byrd has a distinguished track record as a results-driven leader in the health insurance industry. Now a high-level consultant to national and regional healthcare companies, Byrd previously served as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Aetna Better Health, Kentucky, one of the largest Medicaid and Medicare health plans in the state. Previous to this role, Byrd held several other executive positions at Healthfirst, Mercy Health Plan (became Horizon NJ Health), Total Plan Administrators (TPA), a Blue Cross Blue Shield NJ Subsidiary, AmeriChoice/United Healthcare of NJ, and more. One of the first and most successful African American male executives in the industry, Byrd’s ability to ascend to the highest leadership position within several of the nation’s largest healthcare insurance companies, against all odds, is extraordinary and impressive. Byrd holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from Lafayette College. He completed several semesters of the Master of Business Administration program at Monmouth University.
- Hugh Campbell Board Member Currently serving on the BayCare Health System Board of Trustees, Campbell brings more than 20 years of experience in the technology sector to the UMA board. Campbell also serves as the chairman of the CEO Council of Tampa. He is also the president of AC4S Technologies, a hybrid cloud solutions provider helping companies with tech support, cloud services, cybersecurity, and intelligent building systems. Campbell has 16 years of experience running a federal business and 10 years of active service in the U.S. Army as a communications officer. Campbell is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, NY and holds a master’s degree in Telecommunications Management from Golden Gate University.
- Christopher Hawk, M.D. Board Member Dr. Hawk is a board-certified family medicine physician practicing in Washington state at St. Joseph’s community hospital and the Lummi Nation Tribal Health Clinic. He is also an assistant professor at the University of Washington involved in research and clinical education. Before medicine, he worked internationally on remote construction projects and, through his travels and volunteer efforts for health organizations, witnessed how disparities in wealth, education, and access to healthcare can negatively affect outcomes. Seeking a career that could contribute to addressing these disparities, Dr. Hawk entered the medical and educational professions. Dr. Hawk obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Hawaii and his medical degree from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and completed his residency at the University of Washington.
- Sheila McDevitt Board Member Ms. McDevitt has a wealth of experience in educational policy, business ethics and regulatory and corporate compliance. A former chair of the Board of Governors of Florida’s State University System, Ms. McDevitt recently concluded her long-term service on the boards of St. Leo University, Florida West Coast Public Broadcasting, Inc. (WEDU), and Hillsborough County Bar Foundation. She currently serves as an Emeritus Trustee on each of those boards. She also served on the Board of Directors and as chair of the compliance committee of Bay Cities Bank up until the sale of the Bank. Beyond her service to numerous educational, civic and professional organizations during her career, Ms. McDevitt served for many years as the senior vice president and general counsel of TECO Energy, Inc. A recognized leader in the Florida business community, Ms. McDevitt has been a member of the Florida Council of 100, has been inducted into the Tampa Bay Business Hall of Fame and received the Outstanding Contribution Award for Pioneering in Business Ethics from the University of Tampa. Ms. McDevitt received her undergraduate and law degrees from Florida State University.
- Karen Mincey Board Member For over 17 years, Mincey has worked as the vice president of Information Technology and Telecommunications and Chief Information Officer for Tampa Electric and Peoples Gas Company (TECO). Deeply involved in the Tampa Bay community, Mincey also serves on the Advisory Group for the David A. Straz Jr. Center for the Performing Arts, as well as the University of South Florida Electrical Engineering’s Industrial Advisory Board. She also serves as a Corporate Board Member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Tampa Bay. Mincey was named a Tampa Bay Business Journal “CIO of the Year” honoree in 2020. In 2010, she joined Oprah Winfrey as one the 75 most powerful women in business, named by Black Enterprise. Mincey holds a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of New Orleans and a Master’s of Business Administration from Loyola University New Orleans.
- Thomas Rametta President Thomas Rametta serves as President for Ultimate Medical Academy. UMA is a Tampa-based nonprofit healthcare educational institution with more than 14,000 students and more than 55,000 alumni nationwide. Rametta is responsible for leading strategies to fulfill UMA’s mission to equip and empower students to excel in healthcare careers. This includes developing a diverse and talented team to support students throughout their journey, ensuring the institution operates with financial responsibility and championing student outcomes. Prior to UMA, Rametta was Group Finance Director of Enterprise Media Group (EMG), a $700 million segment of Dow Jones. Prior to EMG, he was Director of Management Reporting for Factiva, LLC (also a Dow Jones company). Rametta is a Certified Public Accountant and holds a B.B.A. in Accounting from James Madison University.
- Saundra Wall Williams, Ed.D. Board Member Dr. Williams is a national leader in corporate governance and leadership development. She has over 25 years of experience as a consultant, leader, and practitioner in the field of information technology as well as enterprise training and development, hardware/software design, and distance learning. Dr. Williams is the chief executive officer of WMS Corporation, a professional development consulting and training company that supports emerging and established women leaders in corporations, government, education, and non-profit organizations. She is also an adjunct assistant professor at North Carolina State University in the Department of Educational Leadership, Policy and Human Development. Dr. Williams holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a master’s degree of divinity from Regent University Divinity School, and an Ed.D. in Education from North Carolina State University.
- Shelley Collins, M.D., FAAP Board Member Shelley Collins, M.D., FAAP, has spent more than two decades in leadership positions where she trains and educates tomorrow’s healthcare workers. At the University of Florida College of Medicine, Dr. Collins is Associate Dean for Students Affairs, Associate Chief Medical Officer, and Professor of Pediatrics. She plays a critical role in the success of healthcare talent at every level, academically and in their careers. Dr. Collins also plays an integral role in advancing the healthcare industry as a whole. She has pursued grants to cultivate healthy communities, find effective therapies, and learn more about healthcare worker wellness. Dr. Collins has co-authored numerous articles about her studies, helping to add clarity and identify future areas of research. She has received numerous recognitions for her contributions to healthcare education and training, including being named Inspirational Physician and earning the honor of Outstanding Achievements in Pediatric Medical Student Education. Dr. Collins holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish from Wake Forest University and a Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Miami, the latter of which is where she also completed her pediatric residency and chief residency.
- Karen M. Jones Board Member Karen Jones is an accomplished leader in the marketing industry. During her 36 years in the field, Jones has helped companies improve their brand strength and positioning, also increasing awareness of the solutions they provide. Jones serves as Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer at Ryder Systems, Inc., a Fortune 500 logistics, supply chain, and transportation provider. In this role, she has helped Ryder develop a more integrated presence, increasing its brand value and driving its growth and profitability, as well as leading all new product innovation and development efforts for the company. A thought leader in the marketing space, Jones helps companies achieve successful brand development, sales and lead volume increase strategies, and improved consumer awareness. Jones’ achievements have earned her multiple awards and recognitions during her career including being named one of the “Most Powerful & Influential Women” by the Florida Diversity Council and a “Growth CMO” by the CMO Club. Before Ryder, Jones held leadership positions with NRG Energy, DHL Express, and Hewlett Packard. Her brand management and marketing approaches helped these businesses attain their revenue and earnings goals, increasing their recognition within their respective industries. Jones holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism from the University of Houston.